Friday, August 10, 2018

TV Series that are Meaty, and can be Engaging

This blog is intended only to give you my personal picks for memorable, timeless and thought-provoking movies and shows. However I also base my movie and show favorites on their overall entertainment value. I consider myself an above average TV and movie watcher and over the years I have from time to time been enticed to watch a TV show or film that for lack of other words is sadly bland ( weak or wishy-washy ) .. needless to say I end up turning it off and feeling cheated.

Note Worthy TV

1.  Grey's Anatomy - Medical drama (based out of a fictional Seattle hospital) that first premiered in 2005.  I know medical TV shows are not everyone's cup of tea, however for me and most of the people I know they are very engaging and quickly draw the viewer's attention.. They usually contain severe medical conditions that many people will either identify with in some way or will cause the viewer to feel a real concern about what the outcome will ultimately be (at times you may end up sitting on the edge of your seat to see if someone lives or dies).

There have been many medical dramas over the years, both good and bad.. Some of the other ones that spring to mind as being equally entertaining are:

ER which premiered in 1994 and spanned 15 seasons.  The show was really in my opinion ground breaking and I can remember watching almost every episode with my ex husband. In many ways it was something that brought us together after all he had a medical background and I was also in healthcare so we found it very entertaining not only for the story lines each week (such as who was in love with who) but the medical situations they found themselves in .. Most medical staff criticize medical series and films as being unrealistic, however I believe the viewer must always remember it is indeed a TV show and while they may do their best to be accurate, I will admit they sometimes fall a little short.. again viewers should remember the shows are intended to be entertaining and not technical medical publications.

However the show had a huge following and many celebrities started on ER (such as George Clooney). The show was based in a fictitious hospital in Chicago Illinois showing the lives of ER medical staff and the huge medical issues they were tasked with .  ER was and still is one of the best medical drama series ever written.

House  premiered in 2004 and was a medical drama (based in a fictional hospital in New Jersey) that focused on a medical genius (played by Hugh Laurie) with an unorthodox approach to healthcare. Dr. House unfortunately was plagued with a chemical dependence on pain medication but his medical expertise along with his inspiring staff saved multiple people from some of the most intriguing medical conditions.

M*A*S*H first premiered in 1972 and focused on fictional medical doctors and their staff out of a Mobile Army Surgical Hospital based in South Korea during the Korean War.  Even though the series can be best described as a dark comedy medical drama it highlighted the intense aspects of war, death, and the duty of those that place their lives in danger for our country each and everyday. I was only 12 when this first premiered but I remember watching it and I remember it was one of my first introductions to what service men and women grappled with in war.  Although looking back now I can see the comic relief the show provided at that time in my life I remember seeing episodes on how they ran out of painkillers which presented a real issue considering they dealt with casualties everyday.  or the Korean woman who smothered her own child.. Ultimately this series will always be one of the timeless classics.

Of course there are so many more really good medical dramas, some of which have just jumped on the scene such as The Good Doctor, Chicago Med, The Resident and many others.  I believe that medical dramas can in someway bring about change in not only healthcare in general but how medical personnel practice medicine and attend to their patients..

After all healthcare is something that everyone should be concerned with..

2. Homeland  is an American terrorism spy thriller drama that premiered in 2011. (Wow that was a mouthful .. but it is).. Homeland is everything you would want in a politics based fight on terrorism thriller series that shows how people risk their lives hunting down terrorist abroad and domestic.

All though the series focuses on a covert CIA operative (played by Claire Danes) who is bipolar. The show does touch upon many of the issues facing this country, and although this is series of fiction it is gripping and has an exceptional cast.  I have read that the 8th season will be its last and will start in June 2019.  Trust me this series is a must see, and I will be sad to see it end..

Note  .. Other dramas with similar content worth mentioning are Blacklist and the NCIS, both equally entertaining.

3.  Law and Order - SVU premiered in 1999.  SVU (Special Victims Unit) is a spinoff of the original Law and Order series.  The intention of the show is to highlight cases based on the sex crimes bureau which is a unit that focuses on sexually based offenses, as well as crimes against children.  In my opinion SVU is not the typical police drama it deals with very sensitive subject and the cast of the show is outstanding.  I binge watch SVU even when I think I have seen every episode out there.. which shows how much I enjoy this show.

Law and Order Criminal Intent premiered in 2001 and is another good spinoff of Law and Order which was a huge hit and first premiered in 1990..

4. Criminal Minds premiered in 2005 and is definitely not your typical crime drama.  Starting with an outstanding cast that has over the years managed to become like extended family members.  As well as this drama doesn't just tackle the typical who done it mysteries but they tackle serial killers along with focusing on FBI profiling tactics to find their unsub (unknown subject or criminal).  In many cases we have learned a lot I think about profiling and saying something if we see something from Criminal Minds.. I know I find the show fascinating and in many cases heartbreaking because some of the subjects are for lack of other words gruesome.  However the show has weathered over 14 seasons and in my opinion is still going strong.

Note I would like to mention that although there has been spinoffs (such as Beyond Borders and Suspect Behavior) the original Criminal Minds is still my favorite.  One of my favorite episodes is J.J.'s fight scene in the season 7 finale.

5. Goliath premiered in 2016 and is a dark legal drama. The main character Billy McBride is played by Billy Bob Thornton (need I say more) and is tasked with the role of an attorney who is down and out and has basically given up on practicing law.  However in the first season he comes back to fight a nemesis.  The story line is full of dark twists and turns while showing the human side of Mr. McBride as he tries hard to get his life back from walking away from the legal system.  In season two he is asked to get a young man out of trouble and ends up fighting an unscrupulous politician,  both seasons are outstanding and I hope Amazon renews it.  If you haven't seen this series ..watch it you will not be disappointed.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment