Sunday, February 17, 2019

Really Strong Females .. I love films that feature really strong female roles..

1.  The Help 2011 - is a period drama adapted from a book by the same name by Kathryn Stockett.. The film features an outstanding cast including Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer, Emma Stone, Jessica Chastain, and Allison Janney.. The film follows the story of a young white aspiring journalist woman named Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan.. and her relationship with two black maids.. Aibileen Clark and Minny Jackson during the 1963 Civil Rights Movement in Jackson Mississippi..

In an attempt to become recognized writer Skeeter decides to write a tell all book from the view point of the maids during this turbulent time.. exposing racism.. after all black domestic worker during the 60s in America were often referred to as "the help" hence the title of the book and the film..

I loved this film and found myself laughing and crying throughout the film.. It is extremely poignant and insightful.. I have to be honest, I found myself identifying with the film in many ways because when I was a child I had black nannies.. who were just as in the film housekeepers for my family that looked after me as well.. I remember, I was just like Skeeter I truly loved them.. and considered them family..

Real Life "The Help" 
Kathryn Stockett "The Help" 

2.  Cake 2014 - is a exceptional drama starring Jennifer Aniston.. The film focuses on Claire Bennett (Jennifer Aniston) who after surviving a tragic car accident that claimed the life of her son is left physically and emotionally disabled.. Claire is hostile, scarred, and struggling to cope with her pain both emotionally and physically.. The film is outstanding .. inspiring, gut wrenching and heart warming.. I loved every minute of it from start to finish.. I found myself completely engrossed in the story.. Definitely a film everyone should watch.. Jennifer Aniston's performance is raw, poignant and real.. truly phenomenal.. Claire's pain and agony comes across beautifully..

3.  If Beale Street Could Talk 2018 - is a poignant romantic drama based on a book by the same name by James Baldwin.. and features an outstanding cast.. The film follows a young Afro-American woman who with the support of her family seeks to clear the name of her wrongly incarcerated boyfriend and the father of her child.. I have to say I was completely spellbound by this film from start to finish.. set in the 70s the film shows the racial turmoil that the young couple endured as well as the community as a whole.. The film also captures their innocence especially Clementine "Tish" Rivers (KiKi Layne).. and their struggle to remain together .. The film is gripping, inspiring and yet heart breaking .. a definite must see

4.  Joy 2015 - is a biographical comedy drama based on the life of Joy Mangano (Jennifer Lawrence) a self made millionaire and businesswoman.. The film focuses on Joy's determination and struggle to overcome adversity in order to build her business empire.. The movie highlights the betrayal, innocence loss and family strife that Joy fiercely aspired to defeat in order to give her family a better life.. A truly inspiration story.. I loved it.. A must see film..

Joy Mangano - is a entrepreneur and inventor known for the self wringing Miracle Mop.. Joy is also the president of Ingenious Designs and regulars appears on HSN shopping network.. Joy Mangano released her autobiography Inventing Joy in 2017..

5.  Mary Queen of Scots 2018 -  is a historical drama based on the biography Queen of Scots: The True Life of Mary Stuart.. by John Guy.. The film follows the life of Mary Queen of Scots (Saoirse Ronan) and her cousin Queen Elizabeth I (Margot Robbie).. and chronicles the 1569 conflict between England and Scotland .. At first I was reluctant to see this film but I am happy to say that it is gut wrenching and truly captivating.. I was total mesmerized throughout the film ..and I highly recommend it..

6.  Kings 2017 - is a romantic drama and follows the life of a young single mother Millie Dunbar (Halle Berry) and her eight adopted children in South LA.. Millie's neighbor Obie (Daniel Craig) is the only white man in the neighborhood and during the Rodney King riots they form an unlikely team to find one of Millie's kids.. Love Love Loved this film.. the film had everything .. action, drama, racial unrest, gunfire and romance.. I thought it was inspiring .. and as a parent myself it kept me on the edge of my seat from start to finish..  really a film worth watching..



No comments:

Post a Comment